God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble
with the comfort we our selves have received from God.
(2 Corinthians 1:4)
What is Stephen Ministry?
Stephen Ministry is grounded in Jesus’ command to love one another. Those who are hurting receive
the love and care they need through one-on-one caring relationships.
The Stephen Ministry is…
• A lay caring ministry in which one person reaches out to another in time of need.
• A meaningful way for our church to use more fully our talents in sharing another’s burdens and joys.
A Stephen Minister is…
• A trained, caring Christian, desiring to offer his/her support to others in time of need.
• A dedicated Christian who has developed his/her helping skills through intensive course work.
• A willing Christian who has been commissioned by Christ Church-Lutheran to provide confidential,
• A member of Christ Church-Lutheran or another Stephen Ministry Congregation.
A Stephen Minister is not…
A professional counselor, social worker, lawyer, legal advisor, problem solver, a casual visitor nor
an expert in church doctrine.
Are you interested in receiving Stephen Ministry care?
Almost everyone goes through difficult times. Having someone to care, to listen and to share God’s love
with you can help you get through the difficulties in life you may be experiencing.
Does your life seem to be more than you can handle alone right now?
Is your health, your attitude, or are your relationships suffering?
Are you adjusting to a new job, a change in marital status, a serious illness, the death of a loved
one or a recent move?
Would you like to have someone in your life who really cares?
How does the referral process work?
A person-either you, a relative, or a friend-is hurting and in need of Christian care. The Stephen
Ministry Referral Coordinator learns about this need for care-from a pastor, professional church worker,
the person, or a friend-always with the person’s permission. The Referral Coordinator contacts the
person to explain Stephen Ministry. Once the person gives permission, the Referral Coordinator prays
for the appropriate Stephen Minister assignment. The Stephen Minister provides distinctively
Christian care for the person in strict confidentiality on a weekly basis.
Consider allowing a Stephen Minister to walk with you on your journey to wholeness. If you would like
to have a Stephen Minister or make a referral, contact Pastor Arnie Frank at 602.955.4830, x1011 or
Click here for additional information about